Monday, August 25, 2014

Alma 40:11-12


Alma 40:11-12
11 Now, concerning the state of the soul between death and the resurrection—Behold, it has been made known unto me by an angel, that the spirits of all men, as soon as they are departed from this mortal body, yea, the spirits of all men, whether they be good or evil, are taken home to that God who gave them life.
 12 And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of those who are righteous are received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where they shall rest from all their troubles and from all care, and sorrow.

This week was very eventful. A weeks of spiritual highs a lows. We had Zone Conference this week. My last zone conference of my mission. That was sad. I gave my departing testimony. I wrote a poem for it, which I will most likely use in my homecoming talk so you will all hear it then. It was an amazing conference. President Shumway is an amazing leader. I'm so grateful to have him as my mission president. I wish I could relate everything that we learned! I also had an amazing exchange with a new missionary in the Little Flock area. His name is Elder Ewart and he is a champion. I love him, he's so awesome. We had such an awesome day. He is so sincere and real. And he loves EVERYONE. I wish I could be more like him! He is and will be an awesome missionary and he will change A LOT of lives. 

We also had a baptism on Saturday! Judy and George XXXXX got baptized! It was so awesome. I will attach a picture. It was a great baptism. I gave a talk on Baptism and they also asked me to confirm them! For those reading this who don't know what that means, Confirmation is an ordinance where several priesthood holders lay their hands on the head of the person being confirmed and give them a blessing wherein they receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost. I was the one who said the words during the blessings. It was so awesome. They are an older couple and it has been so awesome so see them accept the gospel and start to live it more fully in their lives! I'm super excited for them. 

We also had a tragic accident in the mission this week. As most of you probably know, Sister Nancy Vea was killed in a car accident on Friday. As you can imagine that came as a shock to the whole mission. This is why I chose Alma 40:11-12 for the scripture in the subject line this week. I'm so grateful for the knowledge we have of the afterlife. Death is not the end of life. We can mourn but not for Sister Vea. We can feel sorrow for her family and for ourselves but she is absolutely in a more joyful place, resting from all care and sorrow. I love the gospel of Jesus Christ. There is so much power in living the principles that He teaches. I love all of you! 

Love
Elder Sherwood

No comments:

Post a Comment