Friday, December 13, 2013

Ether 12:26


Ether 12:26  And when I had said this, the Lord spake unto me, saying: aFools bmock, but they shall mourn; and my grace is sufficient for the meek, that they shall take no advantage of your weakness;



This week was kind of a bummer. But also pretty cool. Thursday night we were just about to go tracting, when we got a text from the Zone leaders telling us all to go home. The snow and ice that was falling from the sky and which was covering the roads was apparently a danger to our health and safety. That night we received several inches of snow and all day Thursday we weren't allowed to drive and we were actually urged to not go out. The snow was falling pretty much all day long. Later in the day we were able to get a ride to go knock on doors and shovel driveways and sidewalks for people. That was...cold. But fun! So for a couple of days there the work was slowed down. But that’s okay because on Saturday we had XXXX's baptism!



It was so awesome. We had a good turnout! XXXX asked Brother Murray one of his friends from the ward to baptize him. It was an awesome experience. XXXX asked me to speak at his baptism. I gave the talk about the Gift of the Holy Ghost. I have this poem called at the crossroads which talks about two travelers, one that uses his own judgment and chooses the wrong road and another that has the guidance of another, one who knows the roads, and leads him to victory where he "walks on the highways fair". I likened the experiences of the two wanderers in this poem to us in our lives and the ability we have to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. He will show us the road. He is the messenger for the Father. He knows the roads. And if we live in accordance with the principles of the gospel, we can have his constant companionship. I'm so grateful for the opportunity that I've had to teach XXXX from the very beginning of his experience with the church. He has literally been transformed by the Gospel of Jesus Christ. He is a new person. Walking in newness of life.



A principle that I have thought about recently is the principle that is taught in the scriptures that "no man can serve two masters". We cannot serve good and evil. In this world, that seems to be the predominant idea. We have to make a decision. There is no salvation in indifference. We are here to serve, and to love. In this world of shifting values I am so grateful for the gospel, the scriptures and a living prophet who guides us and gives us direction. I'm grateful for prayer the incredible gift we have to communicate with our Father in Heaven. I'm grateful that I can be serving the people here in Owasso. They are a tough crowd, but I love them. And I love you all too!



Love,

Elder Sherwood

No comments:

Post a Comment