Sunday, November 3, 2013

Hebrews 10:35, 38-39 & Alma 48:17


I’m a little late getting these next two e-mails posted!  This one is from 10/28.


Hebrews 10:35, 38-39 
 35 Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.
 38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man adraw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.
 39 But we are not of them who adraw back unto bperdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

Good Morning!

This week was another great week for me and Elder Welburn. We didn't quite hit 30 lessons like we did last week. We got 23 lessons total 16 of which were member presents. Our zone again was not successful in accomplishing our goal. But that's ok! We were really close again! We aren't giving up. We have one more week to accomplish the goal before this transfer is over. I really hope I'm not transferred! This zone is so awesome!

This week I went on an exchange with Elder Meyer. He is a brand new missionary. This is his first transfer! I love the opportunity I get to be a district leader. I love being in a leadership position where I am just a leader over several missionaries. It's perfect. I get to know all the missionaries pretty well. And I love planning for district meetings and exchanges with the elders. When I was on exchange with Elder Meyer here in Owaso we had a cool experience. We were tracting and it was about 8:40 pm. We were with Ryan an 18 year old kid from the ward. It was dark, cold and late but we decided to knock on just one more door. We walked to a house and a guy was leaving the garage so we talked to him. Turns out he is going through a really tough time right now. He said he would like to talk to us about our message. We told him we know it can help him. He gave us his address ("Ya know where jalapeno grill is? We live right behind that.") and we left him with a prayer. We still have to follow up with him. I'll let y’all know how it goes!

One thing that I've realized about missionary work and achieving the standard of excellence (20 lessons, 60% member presents) is that it's incredibly achievable! Once we got it the first time, I'm very confident that we will be able to get it every time. I think we should approach a lot of the things we do in life this way. Sometimes we underestimate ourselves or our abilities. We are afraid to set goals for ourselves because we fear our inadequacies. We are afraid of failure. But once we set a goal, and achieve it, our horizons expand so much. And when we put our trust in the Lord we have his promise that we cannot fail. All things are possible when we have faith in Him. Even when we do fail, we haven't really failed. In the eternal perspective it's all about the growth. The striving for higher objectives, and what happens to us during that process. All I know is that when we have faith in him and try our best we grow stronger, no matter the outcome. I love serving as a missionary. I'm grateful for every lesson I have learned as well as every lesson I get to teach. There is no greater work in the world. This is His church, this is His work. And I love it.

Love,
Elder Sherwood





E-mail from 10/21/13

Alma 48:17 
17 Yea, verily, verily I say unto you, if all men had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto aMoroni, behold, the very powers of hell would have been shaken forever; yea, the bdevil would never have power over the hearts of the children of men.


Mornin' Y'all!

We made grits for breakfast this morning so I'm in a southern mood today.

This week was the best week of my mission.

We ended the week with 21 member present lessons and 30 total lessons!!! A new record for our area! It was such a busy week. So much fun. So much teaching. So much success. Our zone unfortunately did not all make the standard of excellence. We were super super close. I think it was only 1 or two areas that didn't make it. My whole district got the standard though! We all hit over 20 lessons and 60% with a member present. We got two new investigators this week! One of them is super solid. His name is XXXX. He is a media referral. He was curious about the Book of Mormon so he said he did some research on the internet and requested a visit from the missionaries. So we visited him. Taught him. Set a baptismal date for November 16 and he came to church on Sunday! It's funny, his story makes missionary work sound easy. It's not! BUT I believe he is a direct blessing from all the hard work Elder Welburn and I have put in to this area the past 9 weeks.

 As a district we taught 94 lessons, and 61 member present lessons. The best this district has ever done as far as I know. The zone altogether taught 312 lessons with a total of 208 member present lessons. A new record for the Zone as well! So we set a few records this week but we didn't accomplish our goal. So we are going to try again next week! Again, the goal is for every area in our Zone, 13 areas (or companionships) to teach at least 20 lessons with at least 12 of those lessons being taught with a member present. I will let you know how it goes :)

The work is hastening. I promise. And in the words of President Shumway: If you aren't along for this rocket ride you are missing out! I hope the members of the Lafayette ward are feeling this too! I hope the missionaries there are feeling it! And experiencing it! There is so much work to be done! People are being prepared to receive the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We don't watch the news, but we hear all the time about the condition of our country. It may just be the fact that we are in the red-est state in the country (I think) but things don't seem to be going well! Our country needs the morals, the beliefs, the faith, the power, the strength, the hope, and the Spirit, that the gospel has to offer.

Ok I'll get off my soap box. I've been around too many evangelical preachers lately I guess. Seriously, if you are reading this and you have considered worrying about your kids future, and worrying about the economy, and worrying about this country, and have not considered Jesus Christ, I urge you to consider again. There is no sweeter peace that speaks to our souls than the whisperings of the Spirit of the Lord. And no calmer assurance of hope than a faith in the Savior of the world. He is our advocate with the Father. Our brother, our friend. I know these things are the truth. Because I have felt them. I love this work. It is the Lords work. And I love you all so much for your support and prayers in my behalf and in behalf of others. Thank you!

Love,
Elder Sherwood 

No comments:

Post a Comment