Friday, October 18, 2013

Alma 29:7-9

 Alma 29: 7-9
 7 Why should I desire that I were an angel, that I could speak unto all the ends of the earth?
 For behold, the Lord doth agrant unto ball nations, of their own nation and ctongue, to teach his word, yea, in wisdom, all that he dseeth fit that they should have; therefore we see that the Lord doth counsel in wisdom, according to that which is just and true.

I love that scripture that I put in the subject line. This week we were tracting and we met this guy named George. We got to talkin about life and the effort we put in to the things that we do. And he offered us this gem of advice. "I don't care if you're diggin’ ditches. Be the best ditch digger there is!" We laughed and noted his short quip as pithy, and witty. But upon further pondering his remark, I realized a much deeper call to repentance for many of us, if not all of us. So often do we desire more. More experiences, more responsibility, more things etc. But the Lord calls us to certain experiences for a reason. And why would we desire more than what the Lord asks us to do. I relate this to being a missionary in this way. I have been called to the Oklahoma Tulsa Mission. Sure! It would be awesome to be a missionary in France, or Italy, or Brazil! But that’s not the point. The Lord called me here. He wants me here. He has a purpose for me being here. And why would I desire more than that. I will grow where I am planted. We can all learn from the ditch digger analogy. Where ever you are, what ever you are doing, do it well. "What e'er thou art, act well thy part".


This week we had a pretty funny experience tracting also. Someone called the cops on us! It was like 8:45 pm. We were just unlocking our bikes to ride home and a cop pulls up to us and says they got a call about some door to door salesman in the neighborhood. We tell him well we are from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints! He says "ok well, did you see any salesmen around here?" We assured him it was definitely us that he was looking for. We exchanged a few short words about our purpose and what we were doing. He then bid us a good night and made a hasty retreat to his car and we rode home with smiles on our faces, humbled, however struggling to not feel a sense of victory over what ever disgruntled neighborhood watchman saw us as a threat and called the cops on us. Please don't call the cops on the Mormon missionaries, all they want to do is teach you about Jesus Christ.


This week should be an awesome week. Our whole Zone is going for an all time OTM record! We are trying to get every area to achieve the standard of excellence, which is 20 lessons taught in one week, 60% of which have a member present during the lesson. If every area can achieve that standard it will be the first time in OTM history that this feat has been accomplished. We are so close! I'll let you know how it goes! 


Sorry I couldn't email yesterday! The library was closed because of Columbus day. We did however get to go to the Tulsa Zoo! It was pouring rain all day and the whole Zoo was empty. No people and really just a bunch of animals taking cover from the weather. But it was awesome nonetheless. I love getting together with other missionaries. This is an awesome area, awesome district, awesome zone, and awesome mission!


Love you all!


Elder Sherwood 



No comments:

Post a Comment