Monday, October 22, 2012

Week Two at the MTC...


Well Hello Fam,

Week two of the MTC has come and gone. It's so crazy, it feels like I've been here for a day, but I also feel like i've been here forever haha. There’s a few things I wrote down this week, Ideas that I had to share with you in my email. 

Mom you asked what sports I'm playing during gym time. We play basketball every time. Sometimes 3 on 3, sometimes knockout. But always basketball. Its way fun. I played four square the first day for a little bit but that wasn't too fun. Gone are the days of 5th grade four square :/ You also asked about the food. The food is pretty good actually. And I eat fruits and vegetables with every meal, and for the first few days I was chastised for it by my companions. But they soon realized my reasoning, and now i've converted the whole district to healthy eating ;) 

Last week we got our travel itineraries for the day we leave. We leave the MTC at 3:00 AM on Halloween!! And when we get to the airport we can call home!!!! SO ON WEDNESDAY THE 31ST, in the very early hours of the morning BE READY FOR MY PHONE CALL!! I will most likely be calling from the airport phone, and I will buy a pre paid phone card here so it doesn't cost 20 dollars a minute. So AGAIN, 31ST. VERY EARLY. EXPECT MY CALL!! 

I would also like to tell you guys about a couple cool experiences I had with teaching this week. We teach investigators in the Teaching Resource Center, or TRC. The bring in actors (some members, some non members, and some real investigators) for us to teach. Its ridiculously real, and so awesome. Our progressing investigator is J. M.(initals added by Mandy) An 80 year old Japanese man who will talk your ear off, and he's impossible to teach. And then there's A.H. So this week we taught A.H. our less active member. She is an 80 year old woman from Holland, it was so awesome. We taught her about prayer. She was baptized at 8 only because her mother got baptized and forced all her kids to get baptized. So she has been inactive her whole life essentially. When we asked her about her experience with prayer, she said that she had only had experience praying for the wellbeing or health of other people. So we taught her about praying for herself, we shared with her Alma 12: 27 where it talks about through the grace of Jesus Christ we can turn our weaknesses into strengths. It's amazing how important charity and love is when you are teaching people. Teach people, not lessons. I really felt as we got to know Sister H., that I really cared for her. I loved hearing her talk about her life and her experiences. And I can't wait to go back tomorrow and teach her. I wish I could better explain how awesome it feels. 

Another amazing experience we had was with our progressing investigator Brother P. We have taught him three times, and the first two times it went alright. He is catholic and his wife is a member. In our third lesson, we finally got through to him. As he prayed at the end of our lesson, the Spirit was so strong, and afterwards we committed him to being baptized! Going through these experiences is making me so excited for the field and teaching real investigators and meeting people. 

My testimony of the gospel gets stronger every single day. Here, you really have to rely on prayer, or else you can't do anything. But through prayer and through faith, we can do anything. I've become closer to my Heavenly Father than ever before. The MTC has been the hardest thing i've ever done, but it's also been the best thing that’s ever happened to me. 

Elder Sherwood


P.S. Yes I got my package with pants and shoes. THANK YOU!

P.P.S can you send me a few of my T-shirts!! Thank you!!

Keep sending letters!

No comments:

Post a Comment